September 14, 2015
Upcoming Landsailing Events
BBC The BBC - Big Boat Coalition
September 28th - Oct. 4th 2015.
—Alvord Desert, Oregon
This week-long event at the Alvord Desert in Oregon. It's a great time to bring your yacht out and tune it up against some of the best. Since there is no official racing (or any other program for that matter) feel free to come and go as best fits your schedule. Just show up!
Contact: Phil Rothrock
Misfit Flat 2014
Ongoing events: schedule (2015)
November Cup Nov, 2016***
Thanksgiving week, El Mirage or Ivanpah, practice and informal racing (racing Thrus - Sat).
Contact Dennis El Mirage map, weather, Wind Wizards
U.S. Mini Yacht Association Winter Thing:
Jan. 16-18 2016 Bonnie Claire hard pan #2
(site) just off of Nv. Hwy #257. Turn off of Nv. Hwy. #95 at Scottys Junction , drive west on Nv. Hwy. #257 approx, 10 miles. lake located on the north side of hwy.Look for pink ribbon to mark entrance to the lake. Yacht classes: Inter. 5.6 / U.S. 6.7. Blowkarts are scored separately from Inter. 5.6 class. Other yacht classes welcome ( two make up class). No entree fees , custom awards, Nearest gas / rooms Beatty Nv. contact info; (702) 492- 0137 email: email@example.com
Cow to Cow at Smith Creek,
The Cow to Cow this Memorial Day weekend.
SALA Directions to Smith Creek
America's premier landsailing event. Several days of exciting racing and a great
time to meet landsailors and see landsailers (aka "dirtboats")
from all over the US and often other countries as well. Ivanpah Wind forcast.
New start line and mark rounding systems this year.
boat program" Pilots from other countries
that are planning on attending AC can arrange to charter a boat
for the event. Please contact Lester Robertson at Les@cmsrno.com as soon
LENDERS NEEDED. If you have a Manta Twin/
Single or a Fed 5 and are willing to let your boat be chartered please
contact Lester Robertson at Les@cmsrno.com
International Radio Controlled Surface Sailing Association
announces it's regattas of model land yachts at the same week as the
Pacrim races. Interested parties please contact our President Bob Costa
Details on Ivanpah Dry Lake
Where to Stay: Primm Valley Resort has three Casinos. Whiskey Pete's is the least expensive although they all are very reasonable. The Primm Valley Casino reservation number is 800-386-7867. . Motor homes and camping trailers generally can get onto the lake with only moderate difficulty. Camping
on the lake in a tent is do-able but dusty (and some years, really cold).
Getting to the site: Get off I-15 at Primm (about 40 miles southwest of Las Vegas, NV). Go NE toward the Primmadona, Turn right at the first light and drive along the edge of the resort (SW) past to the Lotto Store where the road turns SE. About 100 yards past the Lotto Store the road bends around to the left and there is a dirt road going through the fence on the right. Follow that dirt road 3+ miles along the east edge of the lake to camp (Camp is usually very close to N35 deg 33’, W115 deg, 23’ although it moves from time to time depending on conditions and the preferences of event organizers).
Notes: Do not take the dirt road that runs SE along the fence. There is often a wash just past the fence that may be difficult for some vehicles. A little shovel work goes a long way.
Access to the east side of the dry lake is between
the brown carsonite
signs. There are arrows on the carsonite signs to assist you. The ruts
are now outside of the area for driving, camping, staging and parking, in
hopes of allowing restoration of the surface. This will spread the driving
across a wider area, allowing the surface to recover more readily, as well
as the ruts. Do not drive on the lake. Observe the posted speed limit.
When passing cars be mindful of your dust trail.
- When approaching camp or driving in camp drive very slowly (walking speed or slower) to avoid making dust in camp.
- If the lake is wet do not drive on it. As a minimum you will leave ruts that will take years to fill and there is a good chance you will get stuck. If there are puddles (typically in the ruts of the road) do not drive through them.
- If it starts to rain moderately hard you will have very little time (10-15 minutes) before the the lake softens and becomes impassable. (In case you are thinking your V8 powered, 4 wheel drive SUV can get through anything, think again...this is not your usual 'mud bog' mud. The softened surface rolls up on your tires like a snow ball rolled in wet snow. It can pack the wheel wells in a few tens of feet.)
- Keep an eye on the weather and, if it is threatening, be ready to move off the playa quickly. You generally do not need to flee at the first sign of rain falling out of a distant cloud. In most cases the rain is brief and the lake will never really get wet or will dry in a few hours BUT if it rains a lot it may flood for days or weeks. Most (but not all) experienced landsailors have a good understanding of when it is time to get off he playa and how to get off if the playa has gotten soft.
- The BLM manages the lake. We have permits for events. Please read the permits and associated rules for conduct on the lake.
- A permit is required to use the lake outside of large sanctioned events. Permits are available from the BLM office in Needles CA.
U.S. Mini Yacht Association Spring Thing:
May 28-30, 2016 Rachel Hard Pan near Rachel, Nevada
Playa access marked with pink ribbon just west on Nv. Hwy. #375 (Extraterrestrial Hwy.) from Rachel Nv. Yacht classes: Inter. 5.6 / U.S. 6.7. Blowkarts are scored separately from Inter. 5.6 class. Other yacht classes welcome ( two make up class).No entree fees, custom awards and free dinner at Little A'le Inn Saturday night sponsored by Sin City Dirt Boats. Room available in Rachel Nv. contact info; (702) 492-0137 email; firstname.lastname@example.org
Late june, 2016 Smith Creek (possibly Blackrock), Nevada
A great snow-free event at a great location. Surface is back to its legendary smoothness. People often show up a few days before the event and some stay after. If you show up early, please do not camp on the "island." Remote landsailing at its best. Site of the 2014 World Champoinships. Location is Smith Creek Dry Lake about 28 miles southwest of Austin, Nevada on Nevada State Highway 772 (sometimes shown on maps as Highway 2). May have to be renamed the Holy Hurricane after the 2015 event
Contact Warren or Mike
Please send info on upcoming events to email@example.com
| Home | About NALSA | Clubs | Images | Links | Dealers | For Sale |